Thursday 24 May 2012

My mighty Sea kayak

This thing is incredible, since I've had it a tight bond has begun forming.

It is an Ocean Prowler 13, and came equipped with two shallow rod holders behind the comfort seat (included) and the paddle at 220cm cost another $100, total price $1500nz.

I fitted a scotty rodholder in the allotted place straight away, and a running rig endless pulley on the port side for anchoring etc. Roofracks on my Hilux so I can carry it and Kayak craddles set me back another $500.
 Also I have fitted two starport mounts to either side not far from my feet (not fitted in pics) which I use a second "mission" rodholder in, so I can get lines to either side good and clear.  I throw a chillybin in the back with 5kgs of ice in it when I fish, and use a small baitboard on my lap.
But it is winter here now, and time to get the wee Beastie fit and proper. So over the winter, I will be fitting a custom center console, fishfinder and battery, and I also plan on building a low-windage custom fishbin with a sealable lid for the aft compartment, to keep my catch in pristine condition on those long days on the water.

So far it's put around $500 of premium fillets on the table, and a few hundred scollops too.
I guess I might put these mods up here as I do them, on the off chance I might motivate someone to get into Kayakfishing.

Reflecting on the season just past, it's not about the food. It's not about cost effectiveness or any crap like that.

It's about being out in this tiny craft, your life in your best judgement and the preparation you have carried out. It makes you feel alive at the end of the day. This little vessel has carried me home in 35knts of wind, with a short nasty chop of a meter, with nothing more than sweet hull lines and sheer determination.

I don't even miss the fuel guzzling boat I sold, I would'nt be without my Yak

No comments:

Post a Comment